We are talking (again) about creating a "reading culture" in our building. I say again because in twenty years I seen this issue come in as reliably as the tide, if not quite as often. I want to write my thoughts about this, thoughts I've developed over years of watching, teaching, discussing and learning from and with some great teachers. First, let's talk about teaching in general...
Reflection is the single most effective personal professional development one can do. Done humbly, honestly, and hourly (ok, not hourly but it just tripped off the tongue) reflection on your teaching and your students' learning will focus your efforts quicker and more accurately than a year's worth of make it, take it sessions at any conference.
Be aware, though, of reflection's crippling power. It's really easy to leave work feeling like a failure if you focus too tightly on your own teaching in your own space on one day, one lesson, one group of kids. Reflect, but keep a balance in your thoughts.
All that said, reflection is the first step to becoming a good teacher.
Next, you're in charge. Yep, that's right, you are not there to be a scout troop leader, cheerleader, or room mother. You are not there to be everyone's friend, especially your students' friend. You are the expert. You know the curriculum and how to teach it. You are trained to understand your students intellectual and developmental status and progress fairly and accurately.
Everyone smiles and nods when speakers come to school and say you should just facilitate learning, be on the sidelines while the kids wander about their academic day, magically arriving at understanding just in time for the next concept in the pacing guide.
Well, no. Not only does the State of Virginia (or wherever you are) pay you to be all of the things I mentioned above, the kids need and expect it. They are there to learn, whether they acknowledge it or not. I cringe when I hear teachers tell kids, "yeah, I have to sing the abc song every time too!", or "Is this too hard? I know I have a hard time with it." I'm in an elementary school, if either of these two things are true about your curriculum, call your teacher education program and check about getting some of your money back. That is a little harsh I know, but seriously folks, we're licensed professionals here.
This leads directly to my next point. If you're talking, they're listening. I love to hear from teachers that they are reading aloud to their class. But when they tell me they are reading while the kids pack up, or clean up, or whatever, I want to tell them just to stop. If it's important enough for you to say it, if you thought it was worth reading, they need to listen. Don't give me all that nonsense about multitasking. It's a myth, you know it, especially for kids. When we let them do something else while we're reading/talking, we are teaching and reinforcing a crippling habit that is so destructive that it may doom our kids' academic and economic futures.
Lastly for today, learn the deniers and cast them out like devils from a person possessed. When a kid says "I didn't like that book." or "I can't find any books I like." see it for what it is, an excuse that has got them out of work in the past and they expect it to work now. Just as you have to learn, and learn quickly as a colleague told me, when the second kid asks for a tissue or to go to the bathroom, most of the time it's just bogus. It's a time honored way to get out of work. Do not let them get away with it, see above, you're in charge!
No comments:
Post a Comment